Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Diet Time...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Diet Time...

2 exercises cover everything!!!! The military guys are going to be amazed by this ...... uh, probably not. Running and push-ups. Running covers the lower body as well as cardio and fat burning. Push-ups done with correct posture work all of your stabilizer muscles as well as mid and lower back, upper arms and chest. I have push-up grips at my desk and at home. They give me a 3" boost so my shirt isn't on the floor and also they allow you to go down to the point that you'd be on the floor, but you aren't at rest. They also prevent wrist strain from flexing your hands on the floor. I hate to admit it, but I have to get back to doing the pushups. My cardio is going well, but I'm losing the upper body definition. I'd recommend starting with sets of 30 and when you are comfortable, do 50 reps per set. Remember not to kill yourself on the push-ups though ..... a good friend of mine tore his shoulder by going too hard too quickly ..... 600 a day with only a 3 week build-up period. At my best, I was doing 500 a day consistantly with a max set of 85 straight. As always, the key is consistancy. Better to do less consistantly than more without consistancy.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 PM

I thought it was an ounce per lb for water? so 180 lbs is 180 oz and 128 oz is 1 gallon so.... yep 1.5 gallons roughly for 180 lb....

When I was in the desert we were drinking 3-4 gallons a day.... needless to say I don't drink water very much anymore *L* It got to the point where I could tell what brand I was drink by the way it tasted...

Also, on the excersizes throw in some crunches to work the upper abs more (if you like) and leg lifts (on your back, hands under the small of your back, palms flat) legs extended straight out, lift to about 3 feet off the ground then back down to 4 -6 inches. However, as stated, running works your abs as well.

Lunges (sp?) are good for thighs and rear...

Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 PM

If your not going to join a gym, definately pick up some dumbells(the ones you can put weights on each side), a barbell(45lb.), and some random weight plates(5's, 10's, 25's, etc.), maybe a flat bench if you got room...

Some workouts you can do with no weights-
-Pushup(chest)
-Close grip pushup(triceps)
-Dips(do them on a couch or something/triceps and chest)
-Lunges(legs)
-Curls(just find 2 objects of same weight in your house and start curling/biceps)
-Crunches(abs)
-Leg raises(abs)
-Squats(if your bodyweight is too easy, just hold something heavy while doing them/legs)
-Shoulder presses(find 2 objects of same weight and push overhead)
-RUN(legs)

LOOK HERE:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker20.htm

I would strongly suggest in buying some of the things I listed above though...

Old 02-05-2008, 09:19 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks again guys!

I was doing crunches on the exercise ball today after the elliptical. Tomorrow I will do both, along with push ups and legs lifts.

Im also going to try eating fruit between classes and buying one of the big water bottles that holds 8 glasses of water and ill fill that up a few times along w/ more shakes!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 AM

I'm glad j_man listed those so I didn't have to try to think of them haha. You can also try squat thrusts and wall-sits. Wall sits are mainly for legs. Squat thrusts work everything.
Wall sits = prop against a wall and "sit" with your back against the wall and nothing under your butt. It should look like you are sitting in a chair. Your upper legs should be parallel to the floor.
Let me know if you don't know what squat thrusts are and I'll try to explain.....
Those push up handles falkore speaks of are also great. I have some at home too. I have been thinking about buying some of those "perfect pushup" handles I have seen advertized on TV. They sell them at WalMart. But I have a prettyfair amount ofhatred for things sold on TV as most of my experiences with "as seen on TV" products have been pretty bad.

I used to do handstand pushups when I was in better shape:
[align=left](No that's not me in the pic. that's from the link j_man posted. Frickin great link by the way[sm=smiley20.gif]!)[/align][align=left]But if I tried them now I would probably break my neck, wrists, and get a concussion.[/align]

Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

I have been thinking about buying some of those "perfect pushup" handles I have seen advertized on TV. They sell them at WalMart. But I have a prettyfair amount ofhatred for things sold on TV as most of my experiences with "as seen on TV" products have been pretty bad.
I wouldnt buy them, my dad bought some last week to add to our home gym and they feel the same as regular pushups. Waste of money in my opinion. I love the commercial where they act like those ripped, huge guys only use those things to work out with... What a joke

Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 AM

x2 ..... like the Bowflex commercial or the Perfect Gym. Don't get me wrong, I've used both and they are both excellent machines, but the models that they use get that way with all sorts of training, diet, weights, etc. ...... AND an entire life of training as a body builder!!!!!

I like the concept of the perfect pushup (rotating grips) but I'd be concerned about it falling apart while I'm using it, rolling my wrist and breaking it ..... so I use simple grips. If you want to work tricepts more via pushups, the simple grips can turn parallel too, just not during the exercise.

Dips would be my #3 exercise to add to running and pushups. Lunges #4.

This thread has a lot of good info!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 AM

Those handstand pushups will blast your shoulders too. If you can do enough before passing out from all the blood rushing to your head.....
I was also worried that a $20 product for pushups that has moving partsmight crumble under my 225 or so lb frame. By picking up the box they feel pretty light. making me think they must be made from cheapo materials. I think I'll stick with my pushup handles. I frickin hate doing pushups though. I would much rather do bench presses.
Dips are good for triceps too. But if I am working out at home, pushups usually work my tri's enough no not need dips. Remember you can vary your hand positions on pushups to work different areas. I.e. - hands together in the middle work tri's and inner chest. The farther out you spread your hands, the farther out on your chest it works. If you have your hands really far apart, it works the front of you shoulders (deltoids)pretty good too.

Yeah I also LOL at the bowflex commercials that act like those guys got all huge from the bowflex alone. What a crock. The total gym is a POS in my opinion (no offense Chuck Norris.)

Old 02-06-2008, 12:24 PM

I have a Bowflex Ultimate ..... great machine, but I don't have the time to use it. The resistance rods take getting used to and humble you with the low #'s, but once you're used to the machine, it's an excellent unit!

I used the Total Gym in physical therepy. I think it has potential, but you have to create a workout to work with it. I was using it to help strengthen a pulled ACL and it works well for a low resistance/high repetition squat workout. I haven't tried it with any of the handles or other attachments.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:31 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I think the Ultimate Pushups have a lifetime warranty or something. Could be dead wrong though.

Bought a 30 lb dumbell @ Wally World today and a 1/2 gal. water bottle. Ill prolly skip the elliptical today (Cause im tired lol) and just "work out"

Quick Reply: Diet Time...