Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

DIY powder coating

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Default RE: DIY powder coating

I'd say the red is pretty darned close to that of your valve cover (but maybe just a tad more orange), although, again, the surface on the mixer parts is very smooth. If the sample part we were shown is how our mixer will end up, the finish will be extremely thick, very high gloss "wet", and very "deep" looking.

If I had had my druthers, we'd have gone a bit more wild.

Practically speaking, the finish will be very easy to clean - just a wipe with a wet cloth.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

You have inspired me Tony, I have been looking at stoves on craigslist lol.

Dont know how my parents would feel about a stove in the garage though.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Tell your mom she can use it to bake more things at once .

She'll probably make you pay for part of the electric bill. I had to heat my valve cover for an hour prior to powdering it to burn off all of the oil in the metal.

This is the same powder I used on my valve cover, Eastwood's HotCoat Glossy Black

Old 11-06-2008, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: live2rice

You have inspired me Tony, I have been looking at stoves on craigslist lol.

Dont know how my parents would feel about a stove in the garage though.
You know, if the parts you are going to be baking are not that large, you might be able to get away with a toaster-oven. They come in a variety of sizes and the largest would be able to cook a fairly large part. Here's an example:
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/hsh/875490937.html
Another advantage to a toaster oven is that most of them are 115V. Plus, they're small, light in weight and unobtrusive, so you can actually hide the thing between uses - something that's hard to do with a full-size stove/oven.

ORIGINAL: finch13

Tell your mom she can use it to bake more things at once .

She'll probably make you pay for part of the electric bill. I had to heat my valve cover for an hour prior to powdering it to burn off all of the oil in the metal.

This is the same powder I used on my valve cover, Eastwood's HotCoat Glossy Black

Very nice looking powder coat, finch.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I talked to my dad, and he said he can run the high amp/voltage wire for the stove himself, and we will just put it in the basement so its not even like we have to wire it very far cause the circuit breaker is write there.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 PM

I talked to my dad, and he said he can run the high amp/voltage wire for the stove himself, and we will just put it in the basement so its not even like we have to wire it very far cause the circuit breaker is write there.
Everything I've read so far says that the oven should be in a very well ventilated area. I think that's a nice way of saying that while a part is baking, it really stinks, really bad, and lots of it.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I could just open up the bulk head and have a fan going, I'm going to get cancer anyways lol.

I have painted in my basement before, and painted the interior of my car with all doors closed...........yeah it wont do anything to me that I dont already have.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 AM

^^^ hmmmm, that explains it Cameron!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

yeah lol, the whole painting your interior, wouldnt recommend it, I had a respirator, but it didnt matter.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

Everything I've read so far says that the oven should be in a very well ventilated area. I think that's a nice way of saying that while a part is baking, it really stinks, really bad, and lots of it.

The powder itself does not smell (a lot) while it is melting into the metal. It's the part you bake and applying the powder that create the smell.

Doing the valve cover created a lot of smoke because of the oil and some of the plug tube seal remnants. When applying the powder the stuff that doesn't stick goes everywhere. My grandpa has a "hood" type deal with an exhaust fan in it sucking the excess powder out the window.

I'd keep it in the garage and not the basement.

Quick Reply: DIY powder coating