Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

first time being pulled over

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default first time being pulled over

well my streak came to a end today, i have had my license and car for over a year without ever getting pulled over. and quite frankly, i speed and do a bunch of other illegal things.

but today while in Mass(i live in NH)I was pulled over by the mass state police for having too loud of exhaust and tinted tail lights. I normally put my stock tail lights on when i go to mass because i know they are **** about it, but i didnt know i was going to mass today.

when it was all said and done i got a $20 ticket for the tails and a warning for the exhaust.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Default RE: first time being pulled over

lol that sucks. Atleast you didn't get pulled over for the cop thinking you were trafficking drugs. I was going the speedlimit on I-35 and the oklahoma county sherriff pulls me over in his black suv and claimed i was going 85 in a 60. The whole time he was lecturing me i was staring at the speedlimit sign "70mph"...The speed i was going plus traffic was passing me so it wasn't like i was speeding or anything. As he got back in his undercover suv i could faintly see in a dark dark blue..."K-9 unit" WTF

Old 10-28-2007, 06:14 PM

i was pulled over for my first time a few months ago while i was driving 2 of my friends. i hadnt had my license for a year yet, so this was illegal (california laws **** me off!). i thought he saw my tint and pulled me over, but when he told me why, i felt so stupid. my registration was expired! so he gave me a warning and let me off, he didnt even bust me for driving my friends illegally, nor did he ask about my exhaust! i got really lucky. i am considering a radar now, but i probably wont waste my money.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: accords own

i am considering a radar now, but i probably wont waste my money.
radar detectors work pretty well. you can get city cops with them pretty easy seeing they leave their radar on all the time, but state cops have wised up and are hard to get

Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM

I used to drive an 18 wheeler and I have a special hatred for state troopers. All they do is live to F with truckers. They can pull over an 18 wheeler without probable cause anytime they want in order to do a "safety inspection". I cant count the number of times Ive sat on the side of the freeway for half an hour while some bored cop goes thru all my paperwork. Never got a ticket either.

And dont get me started on these heads working in the weigh stations. These are the guys that couldnt get dates in high school and didnt have the guts to be real cops so they take jobs in weigh stations in order to feel good about themselves by kicking truck drivers around.

That was the worst thing about being a trucker. Youre on the T-total bottom of the crap list. Everybody from the dispatcher to the $5/hr security guard at a warehouse can treat you as crappy as they want to and there is nothing you can do about it. Youre completley helpless.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what are your thoughts about WIM (weigh in motion)

Old 10-28-2007, 10:11 PM

I've been pulled over once since I got my license. I was going 70 in a 55 and the bastard gave me a $75 ticket. My parents were so pissed because I had only had my restricted license for 1 month. I told them the bigger wheels (18's at the time) caused the speedometer to be off. I told them it read 60 mph. Needless to say they didn't believe me...LOL

Old 10-29-2007, 02:02 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Had my license for a little over 3 years now. Got pulled over my first time couple months ago. Bike cop setting a speed trap on the freeway where it really curves and where the speed limit changes. Saw him next to the center divider without a radar gun in hand and get right on his bike after me. There was no way he could have got me with radar before since the road curves a lot and there were shrubs blocking the view. Anyway he pulled me over instead of the bike 10ft behind me or the truck tailgating the bike. Asked me if I know how fast I was going so I said a safe speed of the road condition (70 but didn't want to incriminate myself). He then tells me I was going 80 in a 55 zone which I quickly pointed out was a 65 zone because the speed limit had just changed. I really wished it was something below 65 in a 55 zone so I can argue entrapment. Anyway he went with the 65 and asked if I wanted to see my speed on the gun but kept telling me how it was completely optional. I said sure so he goes back to the car to get the gun and comes back only to tell me that he had already erased it (WTF????). I then asked why he didn't pull over the other cars following closely behind me. Told me that he pulled me over since I was the first car in my lane which didn't go over very well with me but I kept on being polite and just gave him a smile. So he just gave me a ticket for $160 and let me get on my way. Went to the judge and was able to bargain with one of the assistant DA for no points since it was my first time getting a ticket and didn't have to use up my traffic school. I would have tried to take it to trial if I wasn't in Cali. Judges almost always go with what the cop saids even if it's BS. Didn't think it was work it to risk my insurance going way up for the chance of the cop not showing up to the trial or not remembering or even by the almost to zero chance of me winning. Well guess this is what I get for living in Cali. Now I tend to either drive under the speed limit when the roads are empty or get in line between cars.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:26 AM

i was driving through Mass headded home to NY from NH. I had just got my tints done about two weeks ago. I pay the toll and pull away, i spot the trooper sitting in plain sight, not a big deal cause when im on the highway i dont speed. Well not much, 10 over whatever the limit, i set it on my cruise ctrl. anyway i pass him and im checking my rearviews and see him pull out. I knew he was going to pull me so i just jump in theright lane and wait for him to get behind me. He throws his lights on and i pull over. He walks up to my window, and i treat him the same way i treat all officers, very polite and a smile. All my lights are on in the car, my hands are on the wheel and no sudden moves. "Son do you know why i pulled you over?" "No sir. Why?" He tells me my tints are too dark. "What number are these tints, 35?" Well he said it so why not agree "Yes sir they are, its the limit in NY" He then leads me into another question. "Did they come with the car?" So what am i to say? "Yes sir, they did" he takes all my info and goes back to his car, comes back ten minutes later and hands me a warning and saying that no matter what the limit is in NY doesnt matter in Mass. I thanked him for the warning and told him to have a safe day. Before he went back to his car he says "Your tints are too dark, be careful." Now what am i supposed to do with that? its not like carrying a gun or knife, the tints arent going to hurt me.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: superballz00
asked if I wanted to see my speed on the gun but kept telling me how it was completely optional. I said sure so he goes back to the car to get the gun and comes back only to tell me that he had already erased it
In MS that will get you out of a ticket if you take it to court. I don't know about Cal. That proves the cop did not radar you at all. Of course he was lying about erasing it. I would have stuck with the story that I was doign 65 and taken it to court.
One thing I've learned working in the insurance claimsindustry is that there is a fine line between cops and criminals, a very fine line. Many times that line is nonexistent.

Quick Reply: first time being pulled over