Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Have you guys seen these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Have you guys seen these?

What McSquizzy says, goes!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM

There would be angry squirrels in the pine trees....

Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Once the squirrels have been in space for awhile, they won't be angry any more.

Vegetation should remove CO2 from the atmosphere. In fact,increased CO2 causes increased photosynthesisto providea stabilizing influence.If you burn those trees you release thecarbon back into the atmosphere. So bury theminstead of burning them, & trap the carbon (sequestration). Trouble is,the amount of vegetation on this planet isn't growing as fast as the amount of pavement is.

Unfortunately there's lots of other influences also, & not all of them are stabilizing.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM

hence why trees in space would be the best answer!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:25 PM

I talk to squirrels, chi-koo, chi-koo...

I personally think along the lines of what jimblake just said... More vegitation and improved effeciency is the way to go... I'm switching all the lights in my house over to the CFL's (Compact Florescent Lights) simply because they are massivly cheaper to use...

Check out this spreadsheet comparison about them that I just found.... it's AMAZING....

http://www.productdose.com/article.php?article_id=1142

Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM

LOL .... pressure assist flush tanks on the toilets too. Custom air-cooled multi-stage chiller for the AC. Combined heat/hot water.

Here's a really good one!!!! ..... shut off the water when brushing your teeth and hair!!!! Also, you don't need hot water for brushing your teeth!

Clean the exhaust pipe on the clothes dryer. Insulate wherever feasible. Thermostats with night-time setback ..... I could go on, after all, I am heavily involved in green engineering. .... low-e glass, air curtains, circulator fans ..... put the condenser coil from the fridge outside (ok, that's a stretch, but will reduce summer cooling by about 0.5kW continouosly).

Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 PM

Maybe you could write an official thread on how to save energy if you ever have free time?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:39 PM

If I did that, it would probably be part of Spaz's Wiki. Not a bad idea though.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

LOL .... pressure assist flush tanks on the toilets too. Custom air-cooled multi-stage chiller for the AC. Combined heat/hot water.

Here's a really good one!!!! ..... shut off the water when brushing your teeth and hair!!!! Also, you don't need hot water for brushing your teeth!

Clean the exhaust pipe on the clothes dryer. Insulate wherever feasible. Thermostats with night-time setback ..... I could go on, after all, I am heavily involved in green engineering. .... low-e glass, air curtains, circulator fans ..... put the condenser coil from the fridge outside (ok, that's a stretch, but will reduce summer cooling by about 0.5kW continouosly).
On the nightime setbacks, I've heard that varying more than two degrees for a period less than 8 hours is actually more expensive in the long run since it has to work harder to bring the house back up to temp vs. just leaving you thermostat at a static position, is this true?

Where's the breaking point between turning the temp down and back up for energy savings?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM

depends on dozens of things, what fuel you use, how effecient your furnace is, how big the area your heating is, how good your insulation is. The only real way would be to do your own little experiment, and graph it. Although im not really sure how you would measure energy consumption...

Quick Reply: Have you guys seen these?