Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

how a dealership experience should be

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default how a dealership experience should be

my poor car must have been beat upon by it's previous owner but that is a whole different story...... The reason I say this has to do with the fact that the car is now on it's third set of tires within 46K miles.

a few weeks ago I purchased some new tires for the front since I got an unrepairable leak in the back tire (moved front tire to back of car) and I needed to get an allignment since it was just a tad bit off. This week I am off 4 days from work so yesterday I called Whitebear Acura here in the twin cities and scheduled an appointment and they said Wednesday at 9:30am

today I show up at 9:33am and told them what I wanted Oil change and Allignment. Service guys there (All of them) are really nice- taking the time to explain everything to the customer and answer any questions

After they take my information and enter me into the computer they said that they actually sold this car to Mr. XXXXXXX (they asked me if I was him before they started entering my information) and that this car had NEVER been back for service outside of 1 warranty repair (the transmission update according to them and owner link)

They then show me to the waiting room where they have starbucks coffie, snack bars, bottled water, and a HUGE PLASMA TV

about 30 mins later they come to me and said they need to replace 2 lower ball joints for a total of $289 (P&L) so I said OK. they stated 2 hours...

1.5 hours later they come back and said car is all ready to go and the total cost is $425

allignment $80
Oil change $20
2 Lower ball joints $290

the rest was tax and usual BS dealers charge for such as shop supplies, environmental fee, etc

what they did to the car in addition

1. Had to have changed the trans fluid since the car now shifts more smoothly (I just changed the fluid 5K ago)
2. Inspection part of the maint schedule for 45K miles because they gave me the brake wear indication and fluid conditions and said the car is now in excellent shape (well duh, I take very good care of it)

I asked them about the lower joints going out so early and he stated that it is not common although they have seen it happen sometimes. He said the new ones should last 150K or so if I do not beat on the car (I don't other than the occasional rolling romp on the FHW when no one is around)

They said that I would have to bring the car back when it is a lot warmer outside in order for them to be able to duplicate the trans issue (I am not too worried I still have 3 years on trans warranty) so I will wait until next summer when it is like 100 outside. sometimes it slams under light throttle between 2 and 3 when hot and when using sport shift it bucks in 3rd gear sometimes again when hot.

From start to finish they treated me right and didn't gouge my wallet either so anyone in the Twin Cities, MN these are the guys I recommend

White Bear Acura HWY 62 and I694.

These guys are every bit as nice as the honda dealer that is part of their group...