Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I hate credit cards!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Default I hate credit cards!

Yeah. I don't like credit cards. I hear so much bad stuff about credit cards that I don't own one nor do I ever want to, except for the Green Dot credit cards. So, if I'm ordering parts off the Internet, I either have to send a check or pay someone else the cost and use their credit card. Just a rant. Lol.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: I hate credit cards!

dude, you must learn to harness thet credit card.

spend some time and learn how to work the system. learn about your fico score, and how unbeleivably important it is. showing that you can use a credit card responsibly is a huge part of getting a good fico score.

The best rule to follow is to never charge more than you can pay off every month. Now, there are exceptions (0% rates, stuff like that), but you should never, ever carry a balance, unless its part of a promotional rate that you are specifically taking advantage of.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

We got a card with a low credit limit specifically for our kids. It was sorta convenient,butmostly I think it tought them to be responsible. We got in their faceevery month& they had to pay us every cent of that month's bill.

We know some people who have just UNBELIEVABLE amounts of credit-card debt. Seems like they don't really understand the concept of actuallyhaving topay for whatthey charged.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 PM

use paypal. they can direct transfer from your bank account (plus the majority of websites accept them). or get a visa debit card. they withdraw directly from your checking account and are accepted anywhere visa is (if someone steals it, there is a PIN # they have to know to use it )

Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Cool. I didn't know PayPal could transfer directly from my bank account. Does this mean I have to have a checking account for that to work? Lol. All I have is a savings account right now.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:04 PM

no it can be savings. Mine is.

its the visa debit card that has to be checking.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 PM

I guess you don't want to ever own a house and want to pay ridiculous amounts whenever you borrow money to buy a new car. I love credit cards personally. I usually only a have a few bucks on me just for emergencies and otherwise pay w/ my credit card and rack up the points for gift certificates on amazon.

Just pay off your balance at the end of the month and you will be golden. It's very simple.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Yup credit car is a must. You need to build up your credit score for future loans. I'm 19 and already got my score to 750 the last time I checked which was couple months ago. Credit cards are great as long as you pay off your balance every month. Debit cards are ok but they dont help your credit score nor do they offer protection from identity theft. Also be careful with those no interest for a year cards. You might spend too much since you don't have to pay off your balance every month.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM

IMO everyone should have at least one credit card in case of an emergency. I have several. I only use mine if I really need to. Ex: medical bills, car repairs I can't DIY.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:25 PM

i charge the p*ss out of everything, but I pay it off every month. points are great.

AMEX has covered my butt pretty well in several situations. a friend of mine recently got into a wreck in a rental. AMEX paid whatever his own insurance wouldnt cover (the decudtible in this case). I have also used AMEX to extend warranties on products. There are a lot of good reasons for using cc. You jjust have to have the self control to use it properly.

Quick Reply: I hate credit cards!