Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

for insurance gurus

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Default for insurance gurus

A few weeks ago I got rear ended in my moms car. I got the informations of the person that ran into me and reported it to my parents insurance company. My mom thought it would be better to deal with the persons insurance directly than get our insurance involved. An adjuster from the other insurance company sent someone out to do an estimate....683.00 for a lil crack in bumper and some paint that needs to be touched up! Yikes. Well, the adjuster left a message that she received the estimate and is now just trying to get in touch with her insured. There is no police report on file, as it is useless to try to call the police for a traffic accident where I live (unless somebody is injured badly or it's messing up traffic), so will it now come down to the person who rear ended me integrity? If they say it never happened am I pretty much SOL? I tried asking this question to a rep from my parents insurance but just got a round about answers. Can someone give me a straight forward answer?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: for insurance gurus

do you have a camera phone? pictures?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:16 PM

For the damage? Or was it so I could have taken pictures of our vehicles at the time of the accident (dang it i should have done that!)

Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Since the adjuster came from the other person's insurance (rignt?), it sounds like he/she told them about the accident. It's probably not time to panic...

Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Good point. Call your insurance to see if there's any update.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:14 PM

Noneed to panic. Just because it was not reported to the police does not mean anything. There will be front end damage on the other person's car consistent with the rear end damage to yours. I would still suggest reporting it to your own insurance. At least they can call the responsible party's carrier to try to get them to hurry up and pay. If the damage is more than the deductible, your own insurance should pay you for the damage, less your deductible, then subrogate against the other party's carrier and recover your deductible for you.
If the damage is less than your deductible and the other party's carrier won't pay, you need to take it to small claims court and sue the responsible party for your damages (you don't use a lawyer in small claims court.)

Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 PM

Yeah. It's been reported to my parents insurance company, but we are trying to deal directly with the offenders insurance company. It was my moms choice. I don't think any damage was honestly done to his vehicle. It was an older vehicle with a chrome bumper against a little plastic one hehe. I've been trying to talk to the adjuster of the other persons insurance, but she is near impossible to get in contact with. We are playing phone tag and now i'm it. lol.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM

you should be fine, it would be extremely difficult to claim it didn't happen after an adjuster came out.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:58 PM

sir_nasty is correct. Your mom is right in wanting to deal directly with the other carrier. The only reason your insurance should have to get involved is if they try to jip you on repairs or do anything shady.
Even if there was no damage to the other person's bumper, I guarantee you there is some paint transfer or something that would prove they hit you, so you have nothing ot worry about there. ESpecially since you got their insurance information from them after the wreck. they would have a heck of a time trying to explain how you got their insurance information if they tried to deny the accident happened.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:00 PM

One would think, huh? Seems everything is ok. Lady finally got in contact with me and said she will cut a check pretty soon.

Just a fun story. My dad and I were once rear ended by a driver and the person booked it (hit and run). We gave chase to a minivan and we were in a s type so we were able to catch up I wrote down the license plate nbr and we got a police report and everything (took several hours) and the police gave us the address of the vehicle that hit us. My pops went to his insurance company and told them what happened and they went to the address and took pictures. Well the owner of the vehicle had evidence that they were in Mexico at the time so it couldn't have been their car, according to triple A . Triple A said they would deny the claim since their insured had evidence that they were out of the country and since I was the only witness, who is a relative, they would not accept the claim. Even though our insurance company had pictures that showed they had hit us, we had the license plate nbr, and a police report it pretty much wouldn't go through. As for filing a hit and run, it pretty much got loss in the bureaucracy, wasn't a concern of the police. Them triple A people sure play hard ball or maybe my parents insurance is just noob. Luckily my pops insurance was nice enough to waive the deductible and not increase his premiums. We are guessing the driver was either drunk or an illegal alien, one of the benefits of living in the Central Valley.

Quick Reply: for insurance gurus