Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

OOOOOOOPS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Default OOOOOOOPS!

I spent the day yesterday going through the Engine compartment in the Honda. The funnest part was adjusting the valves. My brother-in-law was up working on the engine in his truck too. We were helping each other out. Usually, after I complete a project, I gather up all my tools and inventory them to make sure I didn't leave a stray tool somewhere I shouldn't have. I checked my socket sets before closing the hood and test driving the car, but the bro-in-law was using the end wrenches so I didn't bother.
After completing the valve adjustment and timing check I took it for a spin and was somewhat satisfied with the results. I noticed improved accelleration and a smoother, quieter idle. But there was a slight hint of a rattle that I hadn't heard before. I decided to check into it later and went to helping out my guest.
At the end of the day we gathered up the tools and checked the inventory. All was found and in its place accept the 10mm end wrench...That's the one I used to loosen the locknut on the rocker arms.....hmmmm. There's no way I would have done something stupid like leave a wrench resting on the rocker arms.......would I? I checked all around, asked the kids if they tried to "fix" anything. But my searches and interogations yielded no results. I finally broke down and pulled the rocker cover and there it was resting on top of the 1st and 2nd cylinder valve rockers with a fresh coat of oil coating it. I felt so stupid.
I grabbed the wrench, wiped it off and proceeded to reinstall the cover. after torquing the bolts and installing the plug wires I went to install the little ground wire that attaches to the right side of the cover.....Well, it made its way into the cover as I was reattaching it and got pinched between the cover and the head right above the cam pulley. Grrrr. I had to remove the cover again, wipe off the liquid gasket, reapply some more and start over with the bolt torquing. I got it all back toghether and started torquing the bolts and stripped one of the threads on the head! So now I have to remove the cover again and install a helicoil to properly torque the bolt in its place.
I hope I get it right this time. Good thing I caught it before driving it too far.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: OOOOOOOPS!

Yikes! Hey, well at least you found it before causing any problems! And im sure next time, you wont do it again!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

That's awful. Unlucky does not describe it.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:32 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that you've had so many problems I would probably point and laugh.... Simply because I've had/done some of the same things.... I sheered a water jacket bolt when I was replacing a thermostat one time and it's the same thing you had going on.... my 30 minute job ended up taking more like 3 hours..... At least it didn't ruin anything!