Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

pics of yourself

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: pics of yourself

Not much... between 1 and 2 tons...

Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

The ammonia refrigeration system is driven by 3 compressors so it does get a fair bit of help on the chemistry side of things. The warehouse is roughly 150,000 sq. ft., completely refirigereated from 40 deg. down to -10 deg.
They typically work on liquid phase pressure boosting pumps then have manual throttling valves to deal with the phase change. It sounds like you have a double accumulator system with closed circuit evaporative cooling. I did some work on a similar system for Winco Foods ..... I had to figure out the weight of the ammonia in the system to figure out base and emergency ventillation rates .... it came out to about 55,000 lbs of ammonia after a week of calculations.

ORIGINAL: KevinAccord

From pics to A/C in a few hours!!!!! Anyways... it sound cool what you do Falk, U get paid well? hope so! sound like tons of hard work. I need an a/c for my appartment. it's like 50ft by 65ft. How many ton's will I need?
I like what I do mainly because it's not the every day typical design work that I could do in my sleep. A general rule of thumb for residential cooling is 500 sq.ft. per ton, but if you could draw a picture of the apartment with room sizes, window sizes, ceiling height, North orientation and appliances, I could give you an accurate calculation of what you need. In PR, I'd expect closer to 350-400 sq.ft. per ton due to the weather.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 PM

...why is it that you measure air conditioning in tons?
seems strange...

Old 06-26-2008, 08:17 PM

Wow this thread has been jacked!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 AM

massively! hey ppl... keep the pics comming!

J_Man: i need my cooling system info dude! LOL

Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 AM

It has to do with cooling 1 ton of water and the energy required to do it...

Old 06-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Wow! A ton of cooling, that must be a lot. Well, it is...it's 12,000 Btu's (British thermal units) per hour of heat being moved out of the space being cooled. Most residential air conditioning systems are in the range of 1 to 5 tons. But where did the term come from? Early refrigeration came about due to the desire to make ice, spawned primarily by the brewing industry (cheers). Prior to mechanical refrigeration, the only way to produce cool temperatures was by removing heat with melting ice. As ice melts, it absorbs a "heat of fusion", an amount equal to 144Btu/lb. Thus, a TON of ice, melting in one day would absorb 288,000 Btu's of heat or 12,000 Btu's every hour for 24 hours. A ton of ice is a cube a little over 3' on each side. Imagine your 3 ton system on your house replaced by a column of ice 3'x3'x9'tall being melted each day. Of course, this is not quite true since your 3-ton system only runs at full capacity a fraction of the day but it's an interesting visualization. Early refrigeration systems were sized in comparison to the equivalent amount of ice needed prior to their advent; ice which was harvested from rivers in winter and stored in large ice houses for use during the summer months.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:57 AM

^^^ I think the units in that post are intended to be feet. For some reason HAF won't allow a single tick mark.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Looks like mechanical engineering killed this thread.

Does anyone else have pics and details about themselves?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:26 PM

LOL .... well I see 7 pictures of different people .... and mine like 4 or 5 times, so it's not my fault!!!! Kevin, PM me if you need help with your AC.

Quick Reply: pics of yourself