Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Saving gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:33 AM
Default Saving gas

My lil bro found this on youtube and i wanted to ask you guys before id even think about trying it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1TPqcUPw-Bs

I dont feel safe taking my spare out. i use syntecblend oil, i jsut changed my air filter, but didnt change my plug or wires (will that help?). i open my windows whenever i can (usually close the windows when driving a bit quicker (50 mph or whenever the wind blows too hard). turning your car off at red lights is kinda pushing it, i turn it off when a train is passing though. the acetone seems REALLY iffy i'm a little scared to try that one. What do you guys think?

Old 04-22-2007, 05:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Saving gas

want to save gas? it comes down to 3 things basically

1. Do not carry excess weight in your car (leave your spare in)
2. Keep the car in PROPER WORKING ORDER
3. KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF THE THROTTLE

Old 04-22-2007, 05:38 AM

Someone posted this video earlier. Anybody ever try the acetone? I'm really curious if that works.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM

with the acetone i dont know..... i have trouble believing that it improves gasmileage i can believe it increase's your octane tho...... i might test it out considering the properties of pure acetone at with 2 oz's in the tank nothing negetive will happen. If it improves by that much that would mean i would go over 420miles on a tank that ive been getting 320 on. I did a google search and http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htmwas the first thing i got.....

Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Update:
Ive only tested it on one tank of gas, and the only reason i think it helps is the recommended is driving 50mph which naturally saves gas anyways cause you arent going that fast. But as it stands it may have improved my gas mileage by 1 mpg but i wasnt driving my car like i normally do. I think they only way it can improve things is if you have a poor ignition system.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 AM

Your car doesn't have plug wires. They fire direct from seperate coils. The plugs are irridium and should last to100K + -. The acetone was disproven on Bobistheoilguy.com.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM

oh sure, and you couldnt have said something 2 weeks ago and saved mea few bucks?? ^_-

Old 05-09-2007, 05:29 PM

funny this post should come up again.... CNNMoney just ran this article on fuel economy myths....

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/09/pf/g...ion=2007050917

Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM

ive tried it myself and i honestly do think it does help ive been getting better mileage while driving how i normally do and im not driving like a lil gramma anymore. i use it normally and i used it on a trip to and from new orleans. i have noticed a lil better mileage and it actually feels like it runs smoother. of couse with the different stations we went to to pump gas that might make the difference. but with the walmart gas with ethanol that i usually use (i know this hurt my mileage) i have seen improvements. it might all be in my head but im running on a tank without acetone and it kinda feels not as smooth. so in my honest opinion i think acetone does help but again it might all be in my head. along with adjusting your driving habits weight loss and all scheduled maintenance it can really improve mileage.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Saving gas is easy for me when I think about how fun it will be shove the wife's head under the blanket when I finally let it rip.

Oh, wait, you meant saving gas when driving the car? I've been driving pretty light on the pedal (both accelerating and top speed) , just to see what would happen. I was happy to see that even with 2 days use of the AC (~120 miles worth), I came out with ~31MPG, just 1MPG short of the highest rate in its original spec.

Quick Reply: Saving gas