Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

ZF 7 speed dual clutch in a 2000 (6th gen) Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Default ZF 7 speed dual clutch in a 2000 (6th gen) Honda Accord

This is mostly a theoretical question up for discussion I guess, I don't really know much about transmission swaps and all but would it even be feasible at any stretch to put in a ZF manufactured 7 speed dual clutch transmission into a 2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl?? or any 6th gen 4 cyl with a F23 motor?? I'm sure it's no simple task but it's an interesting thought.

Another thought, would a 6 speed ZF automatic swap work?? Again, all this is mostly for discussion's sake and I'd do it to my accord if I could afford it, but at the moment, there are no fears of me being able to afford anything over like 20 bucks..

Here's the specific 7 speed ZF I was thinking of:

ZF Friedrichshafen AG | Cars | 7-speed dual clutch transmission

Here's the specific 6 speed ZF auto:

ZF Friedrichshafen AG | Cars | 6-speed automatic transmission

What do you guys think?? Hopefully this starts an interesting discussion.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't browse ZF's site, but I think you'd have to be lucky for them to have a transmission for F-series Honda.

F-series Honda engine spins "backwards" relative to the rest of the automotive world. I guess it's from Honda's motorcycle heritage, but no other engines I know of spin the same direction. So someone would have to purposely design a trans for that. Automatic transmissions don't like spinning backwards.

Again, I didn't browse very deep, but those trans were for rear-wheel drive layouts too.

Those things combine to make it very expensive. Like you'd have to pay a million $$ for design & tooling, then you're only going to recover the cost if you can sell 150,000 units. Who's going to do that for an engine that went out of production in 2002?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Well with the right amount of time and money anything can be done. But as Jim said because the Honda engine spins the opposite way of basically all other engines you would need one specially made for that design, so you couldn't just make an adapter plate for one that already exists.

I guess the biggest question of mine is why would you want such a transmission? The Honda manual transmission can withstand a heck of a lot of abuse, and you can get custom gearing and other parts for them.

If you are dead set on more gears you could swap in a K series with a TSX 6 speed transmission.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Those are 6- and 7-speed "automatic" transmissions. They're clutched so they don't have the torque-converter which gives all the losses in a conventional auto. It really is a cool transmission.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
Well with the right amount of time and money anything can be done. But as Jim said because the Honda engine spins the opposite way of basically all other engines you would need one specially made for that design, so you couldn't just make an adapter plate for one that already exists.

I guess the biggest question of mine is why would you want such a transmission? The Honda manual transmission can withstand a heck of a lot of abuse, and you can get custom gearing and other parts for them.

If you are dead set on more gears you could swap in a K series with a TSX 6 speed transmission.
Well I guess millions of dollars being out the question, that basically is a no, pretty much impossible. Didn't notice they were made for RWD layouts, I should do more research before posting things. Anyway, so to keep this thought process going, I am not necessarily dead set on more gears, but it'd be nice to have an auto with more than 4. I'm not really good with manual trannies plus my car is a daily driver and I actually baby the thing, just more gears and a dual clutch auto would be cool I always felt like.

Just love the idea of a dual clutch auto with six or seven gears, I don't really want a big engine, just want a nice tranny to work with. Again, all this is theoretical, if some days I've like 50 grand, I'd maybe consider spending 10 grand out of that 50 on it.

So, I guess it'd be essentially impossible to find a dual clutch tranny that works with an F series motor. Then again, you could always do a J37 swap (if possible) and dump the new six speed auto out of the MDX.. oh then there's the awd problem.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Well I noticed a good majority of their transmissions are for Porches, which are rear engine, rwd. So it would be easier to get one of those to work in a Honda.

When you get that 50 grand, just buy a Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, comes with a 7 speed. Thats what I plan to get when the price comes down a bit. And you get 469hp to go with it.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Yeah that's true, I was just looking at a list of the transmissions they make for different car manufacturers.. BMW, Aston Martin, Porsche, apparently high end stuff. I guess only recently did they start with the lower end of things with the Chrysler 300, but then that is rwd. Actually, thinking about it now, I don't know if there are any fwd dual clutch trannies, maybe the 2010 passat or the GTI (not even sure on that)..

I don't know about the benz.. when I get that 50 grand, I've a slight obsession with the NSX, not the new Audi R8 ripoff, the classic one.. I may have to get my hands on one of them.. Sadly, that isn't happening anytime in the foreseeable future (like the next ten years)..

Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

The layout of the Porsche is the crankshaft is longitudidal, with the transmission sticking way forward into the "tunnel" between the seats.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Good to know Jim, I didnt have any idea, just figured it would be similar to a FWD setup, but I was wrong.

And as for the NSX, you are talking to the biggest lover of them, but for me I just can't justify the price for what you get. With it still being 24k for a 1991 salvage title, repainted a different color, automatic NSX, and over 50k for a 7-10 year old one, its just not worth it.

What do you get for it? 300hp, open differential, insanely expensive maintenance parts, beat in races by cars that cost less than 1/4 of what your car does.

For the price of a NSX you could have an AMG Mercedes that are the fastest 4 door production cars in the world, zo6 corvettes, toyota supras, lotus exige, even legalized Nissan Skylines.

I understand the obsession, as its a wonderful car, but in my opinion no where near worth the price. If the 20 year old ones were going for 10k or so then yeah one would be worth picking up just as a fun car, but I can say I will never own one.

Last edited by live2rice; 02-20-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Yeah you're right, pure power-wise and track performance-wise or even luxury, you've much better options that are more justifiable for that price. I mean an 01 or 02 NSX will probably run you 45k or 50k even in this market and you're right there are better options, overall. BUT, (fan to fan) the beauty of the timeless design, the ayrton senna tuned track beastliness, and the number of heads an NSX will turn is well worth it, given that I even make that much money in my life time (unlikely but we'll see).. oh and I forgot to mention the orgy I'd repeatedly have while driving it.. (sorry I sound like I am 2)..

As far a performance, you can still get a bone stock 02 for like 45 grand or so and throw on a supercharger, I doubt you'd even need much work with the internals, a little bit of intake and exhaust work and you're in business as far as running with the big boy cars (I don't mean GT-R or ZR1), I mean corvette grand sport. Now if you could get your hands on a 2002 NSX Type-R and a bit of money on performance mods, different story about that GT-R and ZR-1.. After all, how many 3.2 liter 290 pony V6s can you think of that can run a quarter in about 12.5 seconds and still lap the nurburgring in about 7:56.73..

sorry obsession struck..

Quick Reply: ZF 7 speed dual clutch in a 2000 (6th gen) Honda Accord