Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

ZF 7 speed dual clutch in a 2000 (6th gen) Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

I hear ya, and a few years ago I would have been on your side. But after seeing the C class AMG Mercedes that run in the 11s stock, and still carry my family and groceries I was even more in love.

A couple weeks ago I was in Vermont and saw some guy driving his NSX in all the salt, I felt so sorry for it, wish he would give it to me to take care of it.

With the price of supercharging it at about $10,000, to get it almost to the speed of a stock car that is cheaper than it, just seems silly to spend the money on it.

Have you checked out scienceofspeed.com? They have all sorts of NSX goodies.........at NSX prices.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Aww, that's just wrong, running an NSX in salt, that hurts to just read. And as far as speedofscience.com, never heard of it but I am checking it out right now.. the science of going fast, looks really cool. I'll be obsessing over that for a few days..

And yeah you're right.. Every year, it seems the NSX is less and less worth the price that they still hold.. Especially with that 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500, with the largest production V8, supposedly for like 65 grand brand new (magazines est.).. I doubt mustangs can ever put **** for traction down on a real track though.. Anyway, I digress.. But yeah I'll give you that most used performance cars these days would likely embarass an NSX on the track for similar price range..

Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Supper Moderator

what is the point of putting this type of trans on a 145hp single slammer? Not like your gonna break out of the 17sec or anything....

Now if you were running a high powered set up this might be a nice set up. IF they even have one that will bolt to a F or H series block.

IMO this would be a total waste. Also I'm sure this trans outweighs the stock trans. So now your adding more weight too. The cost I can imagine would be more than the car is worth (x2)

Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM

All your points regarding the 17 second and 145 ponies being excessively slow are valid.. But honestly, I just always feel like more gears in that thing would be kinda cool. I was never one for putting insane power on my car considering I drive it everyday and it already has like 215k miles on it.. Most of the car's value lies in the sentimental value, first car my family bought when we came to the US and now I drive it mostly.. I spend a lot on maintaining the car and still go to the dealer for everything, even though I know I am being ripped off cuz the dealer, at the end of day, has kept the car in good shape for an incredible cost..

But yeah the only reason this theoretical question was put up is because when and if I get around to it in the course of my lifetime, it'd be cool to have a nice dual clutch in there.. The added weight may bog it down a bit but it'd be a nice cruising car on straight highways and day to day things..

Clearly, it's impossible unless I want to start up a corporation and fund a multimillion dollar R&D program and then find ways to break even through sales.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

The industry makes progress all the time. I had a BMW 2002tii and thought it was so fast. Outran camaros in the corners, but really, how fast was a 1974 camaro...

My 1986 Jetta GLi was in some ways a downgrade. Then my 95 Integra was even faster than the BMW. Then the 2005 9.2x (WRX). Every step of the way things get faster, and you need to step back to realize a lot of normal cars of 2010 will out-perform the expensive hot-shot cars of 35 years ago.

It's an interesting discussion, & I won't flame you for thinking about stuff like that. Even Audi & Merc don't do their own transmission R&D, they get ZF to do it.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM

That is absolutely true that the industry does advance, and apparently rapidly. Sometimes its a bit hard to grasp when your dream car is suddenly just another car of yesteryear.. but hey, better things come along I guess. Even with my accord, kind of always thought it was a nice car, never was delusional to think it was fast but it was comfortable, nowadays I get a little frustrated time to time getting up to speed on the parkway, once it's up there fine but I hate it when I have to brake then get up to speed again.

As far as companies relying on ZF, I don't really blame them, seems to me, they're an excellent company, at least at what they do. Besides, not every manufacturer is as picky and in-house about all their development as, say Honda and their transmissions and I guess there isn't much reason to be..

As far as the NSX thing, seriously though, it's just one of those things, an inexplicably stupid obsession. Granted, it is slower than pretty much every other stock mid to high end sports car in today's world but still it's sooooo cool looking and its a technological marvel, in some ways..

Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Well, every company does that for some things. Honda doesn't make their own sparkplugs & O2 sensors - they go to Denso. NTN or NSK for wheel bearings. Tires from Michelin.
Notwithstanding the labels, Honda does not manufacture their own engine oil or gear lube or PS fluid.

Aisin-Warner is another biggie for automatic transmissions. Toyota, GM, Saab, lots of em go there.

I'll bet Hitachi or NGK works together with Honda for ignition &/or EFI.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Supper Moderator

if it's just a twin clutch you want. Here you go...

ecrater.com/p/8821373/competition-clutch-twin-disc-f22a#

kstuned.com/detail.src?SKU=Com-H-twin&C=6&Sub=59&NM=

cheaper then new trans lol

Last edited by g22cd5; 02-22-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
if it's just a twin clutch you want. Here you go...

ecrater.com/p/8821373/competition-clutch-twin-disc-f22a#

kstuned.com/detail.src?SKU=Com-H-twin&C=6&Sub=59&NM=

cheaper then new trans lol
I wonder if that'd actually make the shifts any quicker on that stock auto tranny.. Didn't think about simply adding a twin clutch.. Now if only there were a way to add at least one more gear without resorting to manual trans.. I bet that'll be a bit more of a challenge..

Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Twin-disk clutch isn't the same thing as those ZF transmissions.

Quick Reply: ZF 7 speed dual clutch in a 2000 (6th gen) Honda Accord