Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

ZF 7 speed dual clutch in a 2000 (6th gen) Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Twin-disk clutch isn't the same thing as those ZF transmissions.

yeah I know...but the OP kept saying twin disk...I didn't know if he knew there are twin clutch kits available for hondas. Just a twin disk clutch will be OVER OVER OVER kill for a 145hp engine. Might not even like the way the clutch acts with such low power...

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I wonder if that'd actually make the shifts any quicker on that stock auto tranny.. Didn't think about simply adding a twin clutch.. Now if only there were a way to add at least one more gear without resorting to manual trans.. I bet that'll be a bit more of a challenge..

Well really...autos shift faster than any human can shift. The autos just have weeks points as...power loss. Autos rob you of about 20-30% of your power. 5 speeds put the power to the gound in a more efficient way. Autos tend to have a short life span if beaten on them 5speeds don't really. When clutch packs go bad in a auto a rebuild is a must. IF your clutch goes out on a 5speed it's the end of the world. It's a much cheaper fix than auto.
Now adding a 6th gear to a honda trans...I really don't ever seeing that happen. Have you seen how small honda trans are? lol

This thread would be a cool idea if you had a performance shop that you were trying to show off what type of work you can do. But I really don't see this happing. You could get straight cut gears for your honda trans now and shifting quality will improve like whoah! But you normally do that when you have soo much power you are stripping teeth off gears and need stronger gears with straight cut.

Don't get me wrong with my post...I'm not sayin it's stupid or anything just little farfetched lol

Last edited by g22cd5; 02-23-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Yeah I know manuals are better as far as getting power down and they can take more abuse. I hate abusing my car though, silly as it may sound, my auto still works beautifully with 215k miles on it, maybe because I haven't revved past 3k rpm in like the past year or more.. I always let it shift before 3k and it only gets to 3k when I get around to going like 85 which is barely ever considering new york traffic..

but as far as this thread, yeah I know its far fetched and thats an understatement. I am not even pretending to know anything as far as trans swaps let alone actually having a shop and undertaking such a project as this one although that'd be so cool to have such a shop. Then again as Jim, I think, stated, this whole project would be impossible unless I had a few million to invest in R&D..

Honestly, I just wanted to get your guys opinions on the thought of whether it'd even be possible given like a 30k budget, not that I actually have that budget..