Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Softening the ride of an '07 EX-L V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Default Softening the ride of an '07 EX-L V6

I'm looking to buy a new car, and I'm down to a choice between the Accord EX-L V6, and the Acura TL. Both are smooth and quiet, in terms of engine and transmission, but both are a little more bumpy than I'd like, compared to my Acura Legend LS. I've read some reviews of the Accord that suggest the bad ride is due to poor choice of stock tire; has anyone tried replacing the stock tires with something else with a view to softening the ride a little? I know most people want to stiffen their ride, go lower-profile, etc, but I want the basic stock ride with a touch less noise and bounce (I don't want the Camry's slushy ride!).

Has anyone out there compared the '07 EXL with an '07 TL from a ride perspective? Obviously, the TL has a more sophisticated suspension and tranny, but I have no use for them.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Softening the ride of an '07 EX-L V6

i have not heard of the new accord riding bad....but there is no reason you couldnt replace the shocks / springs for something softer...

as far as tires go, you could even downsize the rim...give you more sidewall to work with.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:16 PM

I certainly would not want to go as far as replacing shocks/springs; I'll buy a different car rather than that. With today's traction controlsystems, I would not want to stray far from factory stock on a steering component - their traction control system has to make assumptions about how the car will react to various control actions.

This review is one of a several that complain about the bumpy ride; http://www1.epinions.com/content_337283747460 - in his 'cons' line, he quotes "Expansion Strip Awareness", and in his review, says "I was a put off by the noisy all season tires and the expansion strip clunk that was prevalent at all speeds.". Other reviews over at epinions say "excessive road noise", "Cons: Road noise, bumpy ride", etc.

I realize that this is a very subjective thing. Many people go out of their way to stiffen their ride, for performance/handling reasons.I prefer the Accord to the Camry because the Accord has a firmer ride; I'm just looking to soften it a small amount, whatever I can get from a different set of tires.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 PM

i've been driving mine for 6 mos and 10k miles. all i can say is bullsh*t to those reviews. the car cost 1/3 of what my other car went for new, and the ride (while not as 'sporty') is damn near just as good and just as quiet.

what is your take on it?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 PM

It seems all new cars these days have stiff suspension, especially the Acuras. If you want less noise you are going to have to sacrifice grip. A more aggressive grip usually means more noise. Check out tirerack.com. You can compare tires and they usually have customer reviews and noise ratings. Usually what makes tires stiffer is the number of belts in the sidewall. This is written on the side of the tire. My Kumho's have 1 poly and 1 nylon and they are very stiff, if that's any help.

smaglik, how is the Accord not as sporty as an M3? Haha

Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 AM

body roll, steering feedback....starts the list...haha

Old 07-27-2007, 11:20 AM

It's my understanding that cornering ability is improved by stiffness in the sidewalls (which adds noise)but stopping ability is actually improved by a softer material (which runs quieter)- but that also makes the tires wear a lot faster, and thus, not very desirable to many. I'd gladly sacrifice tire life for a quieter ride. Also, since I live in CA, and I don't drive to Tahoe skiing, I don't need a tread that can handle snow. I could run with the stock tires until they are worn, then look into replacements at that time. I'm surprised to see the '07 Accord EX has 17" wheels, too - that makes it look better but further stiffens the ride.

What I'm looking for is something to drive 100 milesa day, 90% of the time on freeways at 70-80mph in a straight line. I want ultra-high reliability,a great sound system, and a quiet cabin so I can talk hands-free if needed on my cell.I've had accords and acuras since '83, and don't want to change. My current car - 93 Acura Legend LS, owned from new - has served me wonderfully and if I could buy another one, I would. Acura split that original Legend line into the RL and TL (in the US; I know the RL continues to be badged "Legend" elsewhere). The RL now is too complex for me, and too pricey. The TL is what I've been looking at most, but if you don't spring for the Nav option, you get an ugly 'void' in the dash where the nav would go, which to me is a travesty. The Accord non-nav does a much better job of dash arrangement in my opinion.

I hadn't driven an Accord for 14 years and was not considering one, but I happened to be across from a dealer the other day and gave one a quick look. I sat in it, and I felt like I was sitting in my current Legend! The seat, the controls ... I felt at home! So I took it for a drive, and was very impressed overall. In the past 14 years, the Accord is nowclose tothe point where my Legend was then (in terms of comfort, etc- obviously safety, engine power, etc has changed a lot). The only things missing are seat memory (which is VERY useful!!) and passenger power adjustment. My legend is, I believe, quite a bit heavier, and runs on 15" wheels, so handles bumps 'differently'.

I tried an '04 RL but it was too soft; I've tried the new Camry, but it's a little soft and ... the interior is a sea of bright fake wood, shiny dash components, etc (and dealers aren't dealing on the SE, which offers black interior and better handling). I've tried a couple of previous generation BMW 5's (540 and 530) but I could not get comfortable (nor could I get used to red dash lights!) (new 5 series must be the ugliest car on the road, so would not look at those!). The Lexus ES330 is probably what I really need, but I can't get used to it's exterior appearance - headlight and tail-light designs are hideous. Even the Accord front-end leaves a lot to be desired (current generation only), but I could get over that.The TL is by far the best looking of all cars out there at the moment ... if I can bring myself to go well over $30k on the price, that's what I'll get. But the Accord is a steal at ~$26k with Nav.

Or maybe I'll just keep my Legend rolling! I just dropped $3k on it for a new Head Gasket, water pump, rack/pinion, timing belt - it was this rash of issues that got me looking fora new ridein the first place. Now they are all fixed, maybe she'll run another hundred k or so! But I've got that new car bug now ...

Rambling, I know - spending close to $30k on something that doesn't appreciate in value is hard for me!

FYI, in case anyone is puzzled by what I'm saying about the TL's non-nav dash, here's a pic I grabbed after a test drive. In the center of the dash, where the Nav goes, you see two dark plastic strips. They have a small amount of info behind them - radio info, climate stuff, etc - but appear largely as two black 'filler' strips to me ... very tacky.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 AM

does look like something is missing.

what about the tsx?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:36 AM

My in-laws had an Odyssey and complained about the ride (which surprised me). They traded it for a Buick and are now happy. Different strokes....

Old 07-27-2007, 11:37 AM

very true...buicks do ride totally different than most imports...

Quick Reply: Softening the ride of an '07 EX-L V6